Ursulines of North America
Ursulines of Cincinnati (USA)
Ursulines of Cincinnati
St. Ursula Convent
1339 E. McMillan Street
Cincinnati, OH 45206-2164
Tel: 513-961-3410 ext. 139
The Ursulines of Cincinnati respond to needs in various educational, social and pastoral ministries. In the spirit of St. Angela, they focus on care for individuals and empowerment of women, serving in collaboration with lay women and men. They sponsor St. Ursula Villa for pre-school through eighth grade and St. Ursula Academy high school. Both schools are governed by trustees.
With a mission of education for young women and for the children of immigrants, twenty Ursulines established St. Ursula Convent in Walnut Hills, a neighborhood of Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1910. They came from the Ursulines of Brown County, Ohio. Mother Fidelis Coleman and Mother Baptista Freaner led the new community, which quickly established St. Ursula Academy, a boarding and day school primarily for girls, and began to teach in Holy Name School. This was the first of many parish schools that they would staff, along with religious education programs in parishes and in rural areas, plus some collegiate positions, until the 1990s.
The community grew with an influx of Irish recruits around 1920. With steady growth through the 1960s, the educational mission spread to Dayton, Ohio, and to Florida, where the Ursulines helped Cuban sisters begin schools for refugees. As new ministry opportunities opened up after the Second Vatican Council, the Ursulines undertook pastoral and neighborhood services, especially to underserved populations. Renewal in the charism of St. Angela led from monastic forms of life and prayer to more insertion in the local church and society.
Recognizing a call of the Spirit in changing vocational patterns and lower numbers, the sisters have handed on their school ministry to lay teachers and administrators. They have explored creative forms of membership.
Countries where the congregation is present
1 gennaio 2012