Ursuline Sisters of St Charles - Milan
Ursulines of Saint Charles - Milan
Ursulines of Saint Charles
Via Lanzone, 53
The Congregation of the Ursulines of Saint Charles recognizes as their foundress Saint Angela Merici, who established the Company of Saint Ursula on November 25, 1535. That Company, born for human and Christian promotion, mostly of women, spread in Milan too, where Saint Charles Borromeo brought it into the Milanese Church. He assigned to the Company two apostolic areas: parish catechesis and schools. After having been suppressed by Napoleon, the Ursulines returned to Milan through Sr. Maddalena Barioli in 1844, resuming their educational activity.
Deeply united to Jesus Christ, they share the spirituality and pedagogic-educational sensitivity of Saint Angela Merici, which originate from a deep knowledge of the human soul and from a great intimacy with the Word, in the contemplation of Jesus as Spouse and Lord and in attentiveness to the Holy Spirit.
In their own sharing of life and immersion among the people, and by paying attention to the signs of the times, the Ursulines of Saint Charles live their spiritual motherhood with joyful simplicity, affability, and humility in service to the world and the Church.
Today the congregation works in many situations in Italy and Latin America, with the collaboration of lay people who share their ideals. The Ursulines conserve the spirit of their origins, attentive to people's needs and the signs of the times, according to Saint Angela's invitation.
The educational charism is expressed:
- in services of evangelization and witness in the Church,
- in services of education and charity through:
- training and spiritual support for young people and their families;
- support for human improvement, with a preferential option for the poor and in the service of evangelical charity;
- welcome, hospitality and sharing with their brothers and sisters in parishes, schools, retirement homes, spirituality centers, and in university pastoral, health and prison chaplaincies.
13 maggio 2012